I love a good patty melt because its a sandwich with meat and cheese, what could be better? I also like it because with most meat dishes, it can end up feeling very heavy on the stomach, but not this one especially when paired with a side salad. This is a good recipe for family dinners especially. I also like how customizable this recipe is. Who says you can’t have a good patty melt at home? Enjoy!
- 1 1/2 pound of ground chuck beef $3-4
- 1 tbsp of canola or vegetable oil $2-3
- 1 large yellow onion (sliced into strips) $2-3
- 4 slices of cheese (pick your favorite) $3-4
- 8 slices of bread (pick your favorite) $2-3
- 2 tsp of garlic salt $2-3
- 1 tsp pepper $2-3
- butter for the bread $2-3
- Put 1 or 2 ground chuck patties into flat pan and flatten with a flat surface until 1 1/2 inches thick.
- Season with garlic salt and pepper.
- Cook beef patties until brown, then set aside.
- Put sliced onion in same pan with 1 tbsp butter. cook until soft and translucent (about 5 minutes). Set aside.
- Put butter on 2 slices of bread, put one into pan (butter side down).
- Put cooked patties, onions, and cheese onto bread in pan. Add other piece of bread.
- Set something heavy on sandwich like another pan or heavy plate.
- Let cook about 5 minute, just enough to toast bread and melt cheese.
- Flip sandwich and repeat for other side.