Before I learned about this recipe I never knew that overnight oatmeal was even a thing. I am definitely not a morning person so I make everything the night before including my coffee so this was a treasure. Growing up we had little money so oatmeal was something that was fairly inexpensive and tasty enough. I like this recipe specifically because it is a healthy alternative to most breakfast options. This is also a good family recipe that kids can take to school and eat for breakfast. Enjoy!
- 1 cup of rolled oats $3-4
- 1 cup of milk $2-3
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt $3-4
- 5 tbsp brown sugar $2-3
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (optional) $2-3
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon (optional) $2-3
- 4 tbsp organic maple syrup $3-4
- 3 eight ounce canning jars $3-4
Servings: This should fill around 3 eight ounce jars
- Mix oats, milk, and yogurt together in a medium size bowl or measuring cup with a spout (if you are using vanilla extract, add it here).
- Stir in the brown sugar and maple syrup (if you are using cinnamon, add it here).
- Mix well to combine.
- Pour mixture into 3 jars.
- Refrigerate overnight or for 4 hours.
Note: You can use containers other than jars if need be, I just find jars more portable and easier to clean.
Note: You can add fresh fruit such as bananas or strawberries for extra flavor.